Do What You Don't Want To

Have you ever gotten into a debate with someone you really care about? Someone you've known for years who seems to know you more than you know yourself, and the argument is based on your selfishness? And have they said to you, "Well, you're going to do what you want to do anyway..."?
For some people, it's just a true statement that they take pride in, but for me, that statement hurt because it was indeed TRUE. I didn't know I had pride until I became a teenager, and I didn't know I had an ego until I entered my twenties. Both pretty much go hand and hand because they can hinder you from your blessings. When somebody says something like that to you the first time, you seem to brush it off, but when two more people say it, unaware that others have said it before them, it comes off as a legitimate problem. You don't realize how selfish you are until your hurt someone other than the person you see when you look in the mirror everyday. Always doing what you want to do ISN'T a good thing. Your smallest decisions can effect numerous individuals, even people that care the most about you.  I heard this phrase three times over the past five years from three different people; three people that I love and care so much for, but not enough to protect them from my consequences. Trust me, If I did what I wanted to do, I would go to work and leave at my scheduled time, no questions asked. I would run as often as I could, eat Taco Bell every day of the week, and watch movies all day. If I did, my job would probably be in jeopardy, I would have malnutrition, I'll be overweight, and I would never get any work done for school, and most importantly, I wouldn't write as much and spend time with God's word.  You have to keep in mind that the people who are there when you're sick, happy, sad, and hurt are the ones that really care about you enough to do everything in their power to see that you regain your strength, but if you're continuing to bring them down physically, psychologically, and especially spiritually, then they are forced to look out for their well-being because you ARE NOT the only one that needs them. Make it your primary goal to be second, leaving God to be your superior.  Be mindful of your loved ones and dear friends. If you have a spouse, remember that they will support you as long as you are willing to put forth the effort in changing not for them, but for yourself. We all possess what I call ultimate potential, where as we excel greatly in a particular aspect of our lives or several others due to God's never changing grace and mercy. There will be a moment where someone will say " You're on your own", but God said he will never leave nor forsake you (Deuteronomy 31:6). You may find yourself physically alone in a dark room, curled up on the floor with red eyes glazed with tears, thinking to yourself, I deserve this. Indeed, you do, but that's not what kind of Father we serve.  For all He knows, you're just a new born child who deserves every right to receive a second chance because you are his offspring and he promised you everything if you are willing to give the same in return. Make it your priority to pray that God's will be done and that you are submissive to it so that you will come to the conclusion that it's not all about you, but about Him and what He wants FOR you.

Comments

Popular Posts