Breakfast at 1:37 PM

Right now, I'm sitting at the kitchen table. Next to my laptop is a an empty bowl that was once filled with milk and cereal. Beside it is a plastic plate with orange shells and a fork used to eat eggs and ham. I'm watching Netflix when I receive a text about an opportunity that I don't want to take because today is my day off and I wish to enjoy it. I use to think it was wrong to feel that way. You know, wanting to stay where you are just because you could. It isn't because I'm lazy or disinterested. Since I've gotten older, I've developed a higher level of appreciation towards my alone time because there will be a time that I won't have it as frequently.  There was a moment where I regretted saying no to the decision, but soon, that feeling turned into relief and contentment.

My morning, according to my standards, wasn't that productive. I got up around 8:15 to take the dog out, feed her, and dress myself for a run. The timer on my phone was set for fifty minutes. My run ended eleven minutes shy of that (very disappointing). I'm not a fan of running while the sun is out beaming on my skin, but I was running early enough to at least complete my goal without feeling fatigue. Why did I stop, I asked myself. This has been happening for the last few days. I've gotten up to fifty seven minutes, but I haven't been able to achieve the same feat for over a week.  The fact that the temperature has increased is not a reason for me to slack in my exercising routine. What's causing a hindrance isn't the shoes, the clothing, or even the changing of season. It's my drive.

College has been one of my favorite experiences because I was aiming not for perfection, but completion. My goal back in 2007 was that I'll be attending a university with the soul purpose of becoming a greater writer. I am not afraid to inform people that because it's true. Writing is where my heart has always been. It has assisted me with communicating my thoughts and conducting my way of speaking to people, for I was an introvert for quite some time. My drive was at it's strongest during my last few semesters because I came to the realization that I was much better than I thought I could be. My capabilities were capped by insecurities and the expectations of others.  What I should have done is taken things a step further. I had the drive, but my purpose wasn't dense enough. I didn't participate in internships or establish any connections other than my professors in search of advancement post-graduation. My plans consisted of possibly moving to Atlanta or someplace north of Georgia, but I didn't take the necessary actions to contribute towards turning my aspirations into reality.

This blog post is an extended word of advice and encouragement.  Not many will understand your personal path and choices. Many will disagree with them and try to persuade you to do what's convenient and expected. I personally have grown irritable towards settling and not reaching something more meaningful. Not everybody can get the job they want. Not everyone can pursue their dreams, but what if you could? What's wrong with taking a chance? It's not that we lack the potential to excel at whatever we do. God has instilled a light in all of us. It is a candle eager to be lit for others to see just how great He really is.  Dreams are only dreams until you decide to start living them. Remove yourself from this idea of immediacy because things will take time. Recall your purpose and strive to achieve your desires. I may not be where I want to be, but I'm exactly where I need to be. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you apply purpose and strengthen your drive. It will make the shoes fit better and whatever weather decides to great you on your path will not bother, but boost your determination to proceed through it.

Having breakfast at 1:37 in the afternoon sounds non-conventional. It places you behind on lunch and probably dinner, but the thing is that you're eating.   Keep that in mind. Just because you're doing what everyone isn't doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. 

Comments

Popular Posts