What if It Took Forever?

It's been a minute since I've posted on this blog. A lot has been going on lately. I recently submitted my application for graduate school at Augusta University (M.Ed in School Counseling ), yet I need more of my requirements fulfilled. More opportunities to present my poetry has come through local open mics at Hire Grounds Cafe and other events here in Augusta, Georgia.  I haven't done that consistently in years (well, since never, really). The final pages of my chapbook are coming together. Refusing to add pieces is becoming my downfall because it's hard to do when you're constantly writing. Using it as an excuse not to push forward isn't good either.  Anything to keep me from taking more steps than I did initially. Just a few more are words we wish not to hear when giving our all and still falling short of our goals. When will it end, right? Well, would it discourage you if the answer was never?

The concept of purpose is something with I'm certain you all are familiar. If not, purpose explains why you were born. This question won't come to mind until you're aware of yourself and the possible contributions you're making towards your environment. It may create a question of unknown in a surrounding where nothing seems to provide an explanation, especially peers who have already acquired their own answers. Take me, for example. I didn't figure mine out until two years ago. I was standing in church next to my girlfriend and a warmth came over me in reference to younger kids, especially young boys. Reflecting on my past mistakes and boyhood, their life seemed more threatening due to modern society. They appear to have more obstacles, distractions trying to direct their attention elsewhere other than what matters. You're taught as a boy, via the assistance of entertainment, that a man has three objectives--gain power, earn money, and conquer women. I never gathered a liking to do any of those things, yet I do understand the pleasing effects they have on life. Such things have been known for destroying great men with better potential. We have enough of those in history. There's no need to relive their fallen legacies. It's time we create our own. Better ones. It was then that I realized that I was created to lead, not because I am a man, but because we have a generation of lost followers, looking for a place to lay their hope and build upon their aspirations, collecting the required nutrients of love and approval.

Maybe you're older with a spouse and kids and still not certain what your purpose is (Ha! That rhymed). You've probably been asking the same question for years now, unable to receive an answer. Has it occurred to you that maybe is has nothing to do with the question, but more to do with how you acquire the answer?  Are you listening for what's needed or what's desired? It's tough, yes, I know. Trust me! I kept saying for years that I wanted to go into journalism, but it wasn't personal enough for me. Having direct contact with people is what I crave the most. Not only speaking to them, but helping them. My sister told me in a letter once that I had my father's height, but my mother's heart. I totally agree. Deep down is a flame to make sure that everyone else has one, if not a flicker, if not a match. Despite where you are, what you're doing, or what you're use to, start making changes. Establish consistency. Believe it or not, someone is missing out due to your lack of push and pull. Take time to listen and accept your calling. I decided to surrender. Not give up, but give in, you feel me? Typing up my pieces, standing in front of audiences and applying for graduate school isn't just for me, but everyone involved.  Again, when will it end? It may never cease, but that's okay, because that means you would have lived your entire life devoted to why you existed.  

Comments

Popular Posts