Inappropriate (Poem, 2017)




My evening started off not too well. My girlfriend and I went out to a jazz performance, featuring a really close friend of ours. While standing at the bar, waiting for her set, this happened. The poem speaks for itself. This was one of those moments that reminded me that I have several roles as a man and one includes providing protection for our women. I am no superhero, I carry no gun, and I’m not skilled in martial arts. All I had was my body and the opportunity set a standard.

Inappropriate 
It's late night 
At the Metro Coffeehouse.
A jazz trio is on stage.
The vocalist is at the bar,
Greeting friends, waiting 
To be summoned.

A man approaches her
With a beer in his hand.
The saxophone is blowing 
Something heavy.
You can't hear what they're saying.
He grabs her neck,
attempting to swallow her lips
and all protective impulses. 


She pushes him away,
Pointing her finger to his face.
He's trying to defend 
His intrusion. Some men choose
Not to fight in guard of women,
Not wanting to grant them the protection
They have for themselves. 


They want to leave the gap open,
have their way
with the world they deserve
via hard work and rank. 
The president wants to rid
Foreigners access to this land,
Change healthcare, go sad face 
because a female sports anchor gives an opinion
on his supreme attitude.
He doesn't see the problem 
With touching a woman 
When she doesn't welcome you.


When you're drunk and male,
Looking cute seals the invitation
As he RSVPs with his private pen.
She wasn't convenient to grab 
At a gas station, like a honey bun
glazed with sugar and a dollar price point. 
 Nah, honey,
This sweet is taken,
I have a rock to prove it,
So don't let me rock you, dude.
With small arms 
And a blind side, she was beaten
The moment his brain 
Burped, screw it.

Scared, mad, and tired,
I step between him
And a second attempt.
If we won't stand for our women,
Then I will.

-Calvin W. Pennywell Jr. (2017)

Comments

Popular Posts