Lady in Red

I remember, as a boy, coming to my mother's class room back in the early 90s, after school ended. My sisters and I attended the same school that she taught at for a while until we enrolled in another district closer to home. Mom was never the type to leave early. It wasn't until after all the busses had gone and the teachers were opening their car doors with folders and papers to grade that she decided her day was coming to a close. She would drive 20-25 minutes back home only to assist her three children with finishing homework and getting ready for school the next day. She's taught maybe thousands of students, yet has never said anything negative about them. Her students have become my siblings in a way because she speaks of them as much as she speaks of us (my two sisters and I). My mother smiles quite often, probably more than I do. She's had some hardships. She's hit some hard walls, but that never stopped her from breaking through them.

My mom is the strongest person I know. More powerful than Superman, stronger than Samson, and more determined than any action hero I've heard of since I was a kid. She was the only person I knew that could always make something out of nothing. As a family, we never went hungry, thanks to her. Some days, all we had was Spam, bread and cheese. Other days, we had Ramen Noodles and water when she was able to pay the water bill on time. One thing, above all, was that she made sure we had school supplies, books and clothes before every school year. We rarely saw Nike, Reebok, Tommy Hilfiger or any other name brand. Child support checks would assist at times, but not always. Things were always right when it came time for us to bettering our education. I failed English one year in High School. She signed me up for summer school where I passed with an A. I wasn't held back. My mom always knew and understood the value of education.  This is coming from a woman with five degrees, capping off with her Doctrine. This is not to brag, people. Trust me, I couldn't if I wanted to and neither could she. When simply asked how did she do it, she would always respond by giving credit to someone much greater than herself--God.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of sitting at a table at the 2018 Teacher of The Year Banquet held in Augusta, Georgia for educators in Richmond County. I was in the company of my girlfriend and several of my mom's friends and coworkers. Mom was dressed in a red dress, accompanied by red and silver jewelry. Her dark skin was amplified by the scarlet glow. She was a woman on fire. She was burning in her purpose. Standing in front of a podium as her principle spoke to the crowd of her character, my mom listened to what she's become since she started teaching nearly 39 years ago. This woman has been educating kids since before my sisters and I were born. She walked away as one of the five finalists in the county. She told me prior that if she didn't win the award amongst the other four that she was good. She said that God has blessed her enough and not winning would be the least of her worries. She states that this experience was a great cap to her career, for she will be retiring come the summer of 2018. She will be stepping out of the elementary classroom after almost four decades.

Mama, if you're reading this, understand that above everything, your children admire you. We strive to do just as well if not better. You inspire us to seek knowledge, apply it and pass it on to others. You've reminded us that God has given us all gifts to use for His glory. I'm looking forward to what God has in store for you. I know He's scared you over the years, giving you such a responsibility as being a major part in a child's life. Parents have trusted you with their children, knowing that you would supply them with quality learning experiences. You're my hero. Period. I use to think it was odd to say that about a woman, but it's not. I learned that the spirit of man has no gender. There is no female or male spirit, for a spirit, is a spirit. Our bodies are what makes the difference. Whether you were a man or woman, you've made a great impact on my life. Many students have called you Mrs. Pennywell. Others have called your Dr. Pennywell. I've called you mom for 32 years. One title that I prefer to use, and always will, is indeed hero. Simply by being you, you've saved so many lives. Thank you for saving mine.

Comments

Popular Posts