Take Off Song

So, I went on my first plane ride two weeks ago. I admit, I was completely scared! My armpits were drenched! Time was counting down for my fiancé and I to board the plane and all I could think about was a possibility that I've never experienced. Flying is something that I always wanted to do, but was too scared to try. The ultimate end to anything is death. Fear in general has caused great hesitation towards many experiences in my life. This included driving, being taught how to swim, proposing to my fiancé, and most recently, stepping onto an airplane.

A friend of mine (Aaron Snow) got his first tattoo the weekend before I headed west to California. The expression he made once the needle hit his skin was priceless. The thought was, that wasn't that bad. I was suppose to get one with him, but I had to save my money for vacation. The tattoo artist offered some  "liquid courage" to calm his nerves, so he consumed a glass of something strong. Though he never looked at the ink penetrating three layers of skin (that's about how far the needle has to enter in order to make it permanent), he was quite pleased with the finished product. Standing in the mirror, Aaron turned from side to side, admiring the outcome as it glistened in the dim light. A smirk consumed his face, followed by a nod and minor fist pump.

I understood Aaron's expression in hindsight. While sitting next to my fiancé, holding her hand, I realized that I was about to approach the other side of my fear. Initially, I stated that I would love to listen to the theme song to Superman (1978) as the plane took off from the runway. It was reminiscent of my childhood.  Feeling the song through the headphones (yes, feeling), I decided that I wanted something stronger. I immediately started listening to Logic's "1-800-273-8255". The words "I finally wanna be alive..." resonated in me. Once the plane begin to accelerate, I could feel it bouncing as the wind begin to gather under the wings and before we knew it, we were in the air. I begin to cry. I cried because I was finally flying. I was on the other side...of my fear. It was beautiful. The buildings begin to shrink and the sky became more vast than ever. It was on the other side of my fear that I saw Venice Beach, Steve Harvey, the Staples Center, Las Vegas, and much more! Who would have thought?

Below are a few pictures, depicting my experience. I share them not to brag, but express what it looks like when you decide to live. You will face many challenges that will stretch you beyond what you're willing to undergo. Remember that God will not allow you to carry anything He believes you're too weak to do so. Much more could be said about this entire experience, but I do know that before I left, a declaration was made that things will be different once I returned...and they are. The future looks so much brighter. Taking chances is only risky when you depend on yourself to make peace about it. God was very much needed the entire time. This is not the last time I'll be traveling via plane. Many more chances will appear. My next goal is to ride a boat. I think that would be more fun. We will see! Enjoy your life. YOLO is not a fab, but a reality. Imagine all the things you miss out on because you're afraid of what that might be...





Comments

Popular Posts