Singled Out and Disregarded

Have you ever entered a Facebook conversation where you ended up being attacked by multiple people? You were stoned by random comments, having your words demonized as if you were the devil himself. All you did...was voice your opinion like everyone else, but because it wasn't highly accepted by the majority, you committed a social crime. How dare you share your perspective for others to consider, they subconsciously think. What makes it worst...is receiving such opposition from family and friends, people who you thought knew who you were. Makes you question yourself in ways unlike before. There's nothing wrong with becoming aware of your impact on others, good or bad. The problem is when you're ostracized because you feel compassionate about viewing the same thing they see from a different angle.

Yesterday, I started watching Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez on Netflix. I noticed that many people assumed he was innocent because of what he did on the football field. He was an athlete's athlete. He was fast, strong, and dedicated. His fans were wearing his jersey as they looked upon the van carrying him to the prison. Sounds familiar. I can recall a similar situation in the early 90's concerning O.J Simpson and the death of Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldman. Many couldn't accept the possibly of "The Juice" partaking in a double homicide. Popular opinion placed both of these men at the top. They were untouchables, even with the evidence against them. The contrary happened for Jesus. He came as the truth and the light (John 14:6), yet he was stretched thin, declared guilty for doing what His father sent Him to accomplish. The majority didn't agree with Him, so to death he was sent. The moment many are exposed to something they find conflicting with what they believe, they refuse it, even when it's attached to a human being. This...is what's happening on social media. People are being dismissed...for being different. Sounds like bullying to me.

Today, I pulled out my devotional and novel. I usually scroll through Instagram and Facebook to kill time, but not today...because I feel they are killing me. I've gotten cornered by several individuals whom I thought were friends only to find out they have personal agendas when it comes to interacting with others. I personally refuse to take part in exchanging ideas and concerns if what I say continues to hit brick walls. As a podcast host and avid listener, I seek to receive the perspective of everyone, for we all have distinctive experiences. I challenge others to challenge me, for there's much I need to learn. Being teachable is very important. It leaves room for awareness. I will continue to use social media to reach, but not ruin. Sabotaging connections is not my objective. I strive to bridge gaps amidst  our bias impulses. Why aren't we being intentional? There's not much difference between what we're doing on our timeline than what's being done at our borders. We are excluding others because of assumptions, singling out and disregarding their rights to express how they feel. Refusing to listen is the biggest crime, for we miss out on learning something we all may have in common.

Comments

Popular Posts