Songbird

So why is this entitled "Songbird"? Well, to be honest, it's probably one of a few songs that actually melts my heart when it comes to reminising of the past. This song was on Kenny G's Breathless album that came out during the mid 90s. A coworker of my Mom's made her a copy of this CD and we would listen to it to and from Arkansas whenever we went to visit. I distinctively recalling sitting in the back with my head resting on the seat, looking at the dark sky at round 3:30 in the morning, feeling the cool breeze seep through my cracked window, going in and out of sleep, anticipating our arrival when we've only been on the road for about two hours. It's amazing where your memory takes you because it's not just a lane anymore, it's an entire interstate! You see, your past is like your home that you grew up in: nice place to visit, but not a great place to settle down and remain because you left home for a reason. Our past is a place where we started off and ended up departing from once we were equipped with a better future.  That's what comes to mind when I think of all the sinful things I've done and it's because of God's grace and mercy that those things, as of the moment i prayed for his forgiveness, never existed! Wow, isn't that awesome! An analogy  I love to use is one my mom taught me years ago: she said to picture our sins on a dry erase board and God has the eraser in his hand, waiting for you to ask for his forgiveness. As soon as you do, he simply wipes it from left to right, then up and down until the board is completely white again. He then puts it down and says with a smile, "Between you and I, it never happened".  Yes, i love going down memory lane, especially when i recall the fun times my two older sisters, my mom,  and I had traveling during the holidays and spending friday nights together watching TGIF (you know, back when Boy Meets World, Family Matters, Step by Step, and even Perfect Strangers came on from 8 to 10 PM). We had our ups and downs, but God carried us through and he will do the same for you. Whenever you hear a song that reminds you of a part of your life, positive or negative, remember that NOW is a new NOW. It's not last year, or last decade, but NOW, here, where you stand. God has blessed you with life to make up for your mistakes not just because you have the potential, but it's His will that you succed farther than your past could have ever anticipated.

Comments

Popular Posts