Is it Worth it?

I was thinking today about the  "anger issue" I've had since the beginning of my teenage years.  I reflected back on punching inanimate objects such as doors, car arm rests, and my past personal favorite-walls. I've started reading this book on anger and like i expected, anger isn't bad, but it's the action that comes with it that declares it's true intentions. Anger is just like any other emotion. Your body responds to an inner feeling produced from the mind, registering a sudden impulse to react physically, depending how dominate it appears. My problem was that I didn't give the impulse enough time to settle before deciding to physically/verbally attach whatever/whoever caused me momentary discomfort. I never counted, I never took deep breaths, and I never asked the question, "Is it it worth it?" If i would have done that in the past, i would have had more frequent happy moments and I would have been a more positive person. I allowed my problems to fester, boil over until the substance  sizzles on the stove, evaporating into a cloud of regretful action.  It wasn't until I broke my hand that it really occurred to me that I did INDEED have a serious problem. I had what people would refer to as explosive anger.  I would retaliate upon impulse after allowing my stress to reach it's breaking point.  People at my job were asking about what happened to my hand last year after seeing it in a freshly wrapped cast. The epitome of my anger was solidified after hearing myself answer the question: "I punched a wall." Do you know how crazy that sounds? Hitting a wall and not even breaching it? It appears more idiotic than logical, for it all made sense seconds before i decided to punch ironically upon where a stud stood behind my cream-colored apartment room.  I read in Proverbs a few  verses about anger that really opened my eyes. One is Proverbs 15:18-"A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife", and the second is  Proverbs 14:17-"he that is soon angry dealeth foolishly: and a man of wicked devices is hated". I didn't believe in seeking help, so i decided to turn to God's word and seek answers and i found them. Revenge is for the Lord and Him alone. Don't seek pleasure in spite for that is of the Devil's doing. I know it sounds typical to say, but it's truth speaks directly to the soul rather than the heart and mind for both will perish while the soul lives onward until eternity. I'm no preacher or missionary. I'm someone who  punched a wall and finally decided to stop behaving like a child and perceive life as man, accepting life as a challenge that can be conquered by God's love and wisdom , allowing me to consider consequences before rewards.

Comments

Popular Posts