Forgive Me Father

Forgive me Father
By: Calvin W. Pennywell, Jr.

Forgive me father for using your name

to cover my wicked doings.

My prayers are vivid and direct,

yet my faith lacks force and truth.



So many times I've declared my love

through verse and poetic tune,

woken up to bow, thanking you Lord,

yet my path is covered and deterred. 



 I lust for plenty and desire more,

 my body cries to have its fill.

In the dark my hands do roam

 to grab something real.



Food and water can fuel my life,

 the sky can grant me breath,

 but your word, oh your word

 can mend my splitting spirit.



I'll try to keep away the thoughts

 that train my actions well,

 claim you my source of dignity ,

 a power too thick to avoid.



Oh, Lion of Judah, Chief Shepard of sheep,

Great Arm of a merciful God,

forgive me for straying away,

thanks for waiting on my return.



It's been a long night.The cold is settling,

and creatures encircle me with haste,

 but in the distant east your sun shines,

 the valleys no longer hide.



You save my soul, and preserve my body,

the flesh that claims my name,

But your love is more pure than southern spring blooms

 and I deserve much less.

I deserve much less.




Comments

Popular Posts