He'll Do The Rest

Imagine God saying to you while sitting at your work desk, do your job. If it's a job that you dislike, you may ask , really, of all people? You would assume He perfectly understands your frustration, and He does, of course. He also understands that you can't fully comprehend the plans He has for you. Continuing on with the initial thought, this leaves you perplexed. You sit back in your chair and examine the situation. The list of responsibilities you undertake consist of being kind to your rude and inconsiderate coworkers, complete tedious tasks that take all day to complete and probably spill over into the next day, and help those who would never help you on their best day. You want me to do all of this, God, you ask. Of course He does...because through you, He will be glorified.

Well that's selfish, right? Such a human way to look at it. Considering everything He's given us (grace, mercy, love, and free will) and our natural tendency to taint them, we think He's being unreasonable. Funny. If anything, He's actually doing us a favor. Do you recall the classic film setting when a character tells someone to do something while they handle the rest? That's what God is doing when He tells you this. You work so I can work. He can easily do everything Himself, but what good would that do us? Our dependency would be different. We wouldn't understand why we need Him. We have  a tendency to reach for resources to accommodate our lack of happiness, such as television, sex, and cell phone usage. This causes us to not perform at our best because the question of why bother arises. Maybe your uneasiness is part of His plan to rid you of that and apply something extra. Sometimes, God's blessings are like extra fries you find in the bottom of your Burger King bag, surrounding your nicely-wrapped Whopper with cheese. We were only expecting the standard amount, but He wants you to have as much as you can handle...and share.

Doing my job three years ago consisted of helping "guests" find what they were looking for in a retail setting, making sure they didn't leave without receiving that which they planned to obtain. Doing my job consisted of cleaning up isles where people had deliberately left items on the floor and out of place. Doing my job consisted of helping coworkers that has "thrown me under the bus" on several occasions, but asked for my assistance when they sensed the presence of heavy tires coming their way. Those seven years were hell for me, but it prepared me for today. My backbone is more solid and speaking up for myself is no longer an afterthought, but an initial response. God told me to do my job and let him handle the rest. During my tenure at this job, I graduated college, ending my last semester with the highest GPA I've ever acquired. My unpublished book, Resignation., was written on the many breaks I took and walks I made when no one was looking. I started dating my current fiance while still employed there, eager for the next step in my life. God knew that was coming, which is why He simply wanted me to do my job...so that He could do His.

You are more than a butt in a seat. You are more than the voice on the receiving end of a business call. You're more than a employee number used to clock in and out and receive biweekly paychecks. You're more than a body. You're someone who establishes change by being themselves. You offer something no one else could. You're unique, particular. That's why He wants you to do your job...because He knows if you do it,  it will align with His will. It might not be pretty or enjoyable at first, but once you're aware of who your real boss is, you don't mind clocking in early or leaving late. Be present and available because your next position is waiting for your current one to mode you into what it needs you to be. 

Comments

Popular Posts