For Us, By Us (Thanks, Mike Sarge)

I'm pretty certain that some of us who read the title of this post would think, I remember FUBU. Yeah, I do, too. My cousins had sweat shirts and pants to match. One cousin actually gave me a set because they couldn't fit it anymore. I thought it was so cool. It reminds me of when I was younger and my head had not grown into my ears yet. The 90's. It was the time of awesome cartoons, Martin, Family Matters, and no destructive government. I remember the fun summers of not working, but staying outside, getting dark under the sun and drinking water from the water hose. The golden years of my generation. Such a peaceful time when worries and insecurities didn't cloud our minds. We were small and our world was much bigger. Mike Sarge's album, Childish Behavior, has taken me back to that...and I love it!

The ironic thing is that I downloaded Mike Sarge's album yesterday and transferred it to ITunes.  During the process of transferring it to my phone, the photo that was saved under the playlist was that of Soul for Real (I also downloaded "Candy Rain" Remix, featuring Heavy D) . Both types of music have created this nostalgic desire to go back to '95 and watch reruns of Back to The Future and Rambo.  So far, I've listened to tracks 1-6, including "Totally 90's",  "Full House", and "Yoshi" . Mike did an awesome job with incorporating our pastime with Hip-Hop. It pleased my soul to hear such references to The Olsen Twins and Super Nintendo. His album has placed not just a smile on my face, but one on my heart. That sounds cheesy, but does it really if it's true? Who doesn't want to go back to when there were no bills, no threats of war and losing a friend over Facebook? Things were simple. Less complicated. Yet, can you imagine being who you are if those challenges didn't occur?

I believe what Mike did was remind us that it's okay to feel like a child, but even better when you choose not to act like one during a season of growth. That's where we are. Most of us are in our thirties, Married with Children (get it?) Who's to say that only our offspring should enjoy the fruits of youth? We're still spring chickens, plucking away at the radio as No Doubt and Biggie Smalls reopens vaults to our favorite playgrounds. I'm certain Mike Sarge had greater, creative tendencies with creating this album, but this is what's he done for me so far. He's taken me back over 20 years, back to when I was playing with figurines and wrestling with large pillows. Times were hard for the family, but it didn't stop me from enjoying myself. That's how life is currently. Things can be difficult, but it won't stop us from having fun. I still enjoy lighting fireworks, cracking jokes, and playing games. This is my thank you note, Mike Sarge, for taking me "back in the day when I was young, I'm not a kid anymore, but some days, I sit and wish I was a kid again...".

Comments

Popular Posts