I Feel You, But Do You Feel Me?

I wanted to create a "diss track". Anger consumed me that much. I felt like Nas, sitting up in the middle of the night, wanting to produce "Ether" back in 2001. My point needed to get across the bridge of misinterpretation. Bullets would fly in the shape of metaphors, uppercuts would form from punchlines (pun intended) and it would be accompanied with a sick track. My seemingly opposition would feel every blow, every word, every line, every sense of spite. I could have done that, posted it, and waited for applauds and disagreements, but what would I have gained? Nothing purposeful. I succumbed to writing a spoken word piece entitled "#ScrewIt". My fingers were shaking on the day that a nerve was struck. Nothing irks me or probably anyone more than being misunderstood. People are quick to change your words into whatever they wish to fit their opinions. Most of the time, our intentions aren't to cause negative outcomes. Unfortunately, being rude and intentionally spiteful is apart of the  normalcy of social media. Why should it be that way? I thought this medium was used to share information on a mass scale as well as offer a connection between us and others far away in distant and perspectives. What happened to the community? It has become infiltrated by hatred and selfishness. Many of us have a voice that we can't use in close proximity, so we settle for something that allows us to get as close to the problem while being so far away from it. It's the safe way.

I'm tired of being safe. It's time to penetrate the wall. Trump has been talking about building them for almost two years, yet we've erected some of our own. We want to interact, but not connect. We don't want our eyes exposed. Our devices serve as virtual sunglasses, keeping out the curiosity of  others. What happened to getting involved so that we can speak into each other's lives? The typical response you don't know me is used  to validate our refusal to welcome the criticism of other people.We go in for the kill once someone says something against the overall point of view. We don't inquire about  their reasoning. How does such refusal help us overall?  Where's the consideration? We don't have to agree. What kind of world would that be if there is no diversity (hence the disadvantage of segregation during the civil rights fight of yesterday)?

I challenge you...to challenge you. We can't change unless we change. I use to be very closed minded, but now, after realizing just how much I have in common with many others, there's no room for that anymore. We miss out on blessings and opportunities to learn. We stunt our growth and that of others. Milk does a body good, right? Well compassion does well for the spirit and the mind. Things flow well when all is well within, my friend. Some may say I have more to learn. I couldn't agree more. Losing friends in the process of growing can be heavy, but holding that weight by yourself isn't the smart thing to do. Hand it off to someone who has the stamina. We were never made to hoist up all earthly burdens like Sisyphus pushing the bolder uphill. We would constantly slip upon our own fatigue and weakness. The concept of coming together is dying off slowly. If you don't agree, you must flee seems to be the overall slogan. This reality hurts me. Losing Facebook, Instagram or even Snapchat won't be a bother to me, but losing people to it will. It's a shame that in a nation where freedom of expression is celebrated, no one wants to take the time to comprehend the message between the brush strokes, poetic stanzas, song lyrics, and in this case, words posted on this social engine. Either you're staying on to ride the tracks or find your stop and  board when you choose. It's your choice. It's your life. You have one. Don't waste it trying to fulfill another because you alone are not the answer. It's more than you.  Offer that instead of a one sided opinion. 

Comments

Popular Posts