Wool (Iron Setting #5)

I've been ironing my clothes on the highest setting of the iron for a long time. I love ironing, by the way. It's very soothing, like washing dishes. There's something about the art of freshness, a sense of newness  given to something old and used. My favorite piece of clothing to iron is the shirt. I'm not perfect at it, but I love the way the sleeves are creased and pressed. I loved the way the wrinkles lay flat to the board, receiving the steam and heat, giving in to it, you know? They surrender to something greater than themselves.

If there's anything that bothers me, it's getting brown stains on my clothes from ironing. Sometimes, especially if the iron is cheap, it overheats, spewing water from the pores. It then gets into the clothing, creating a wet smear that only a washer could eliminate. I never paid attention to the content of the clothing. If it was made of cotton, than setting #6 would work perfectly, but most of the time, it required a lesser number.

Wanting something so badly sometimes overshadows what you're meant to receive, causing you to regret chasing after it from the beginning. You may love this shirt or pair of pants so much that you want them to have the best creases, but unless its content matches that of the iron, you will forever stain your wardrobe. So now, I iron on setting #5. The iron may steam, but it doesn't stain, not even my white shirts.

Eventually, I will get a bigger and better iron; one that is digital and lasts for years. Quality is very important, people. That's worth investing in, especially if you want your product to outlive your changes. Use what suits you. Don't iron too high nor too low. Find your setting. Iron with ease. Take your time. The wrinkles will come out, the creases will remain. Take no haste, for preferring speed over substance defeats the process, slimming your chances of getting what you truly desire.

Comments

Popular Posts