Break Doesn't Mean Broken

Take a break. I know that may be difficult for you to do in the midst of being an adult, but it's worth it. Put aside your phone, close the book, or maybe even cut off the TV. Remove yourself from the distraction and focus on what matters: time. You either have much of it or not enough. What about what you have at this moment? One thing is certain--you won't get it back. So, use it. I say this not just as an individual, but as a creative. I need that pause, whether it's for music, poetry, or the podcast. Sometimes, we have to escape from our place of solitude and immense creativity. 

Some of us can tackle a project immediately and finish it quite quickly. That's impressive, but think about this...what if you gave it just a little bit more attention? Imagine how near-perfect it could be. I haven't written a poem in about a week (that's a long time for me). I've been writing lyrics and commercials for my podcast, but nothing in the traditional format of poetry, my first love. This is necessary because when I start back soon, my perception would be fresh and my hunger will be stronger. It's like I'm resetting my mental palate. My brain is a buffet line of different ideas and for some reason, I've been coming back for the roasted Hip-Hop sound. Once I decide to visit another table, the smell will caress my nose with such attraction that I just might overeat . 

How to do this effectively? Well, instead of diving right in, schedule a time slot where nothing occupies your time...except that which will give your mental muscle time to relax. Many may not agree, but sometimes, creativity can be draining and tiresome (the good kind, of course).  Exercising the brain is quite healthy , but even mental curls of the frontal lobe triceps requires rest between sets. Please remember that just because you take a break doesn't mean you're broken. I thought that for a while post-undergrad, thinking that something was wrong when it wasn't. There's no such thing as writer's block. You just need an inspiration and sometimes, you need an inspiration to STOP creating so that you can create more in the future. Parents need breaks from their kids and sometimes, releasing our art is like handing "our child" over to the care of others. This is not only in reference to finishing our work, but forcing ourselves to let "the child" nap or play. You'll appreciate it later. 

Comments

Popular Posts