Take Me Back (Poem)

I was walking around the apartment, thinking to myself, I haven’t  written a fresh poem in a while . My fiancé and I cut on The Simpsons. I’m sinking into our wicker chair while she’s curled into a lounge one next to the lamp. Homer is being dumb and Bart is laughing at him, but each episode teaches something. If anything, it was teaching me of how fun it is when you’re a kid , distracted by many things. You don’t get to see what adults have to carry to and from work, such as bills and regret. Trust me, I’m aware of God’s hold on my life , but sometimes , it feels like it’s loose or not there at all. It’s okay to think that because we all do at times. We just don’t admit it .

This poem is from the moment right before bed when I had words pouring out of my heart. I grabbed my phone , tapped the Notes app and couldn’t stop. I was longing for a time less complex for me and my generation. It was a time of cartoons , family time , and outside play. 


Take Me Back 

I miss the ‘90s some days, 
Back when our mom had a black belt 
In the black belt, she knew how to hit
The bad choices off your legs , back, 
And arms. This was back
When she fenced with switches ,
No white gauntlet, just a rose robe
And silk bonnet . 

I miss Bill Clinton.
He didn’t tweet World War 3 
With two thumbs . I miss Living Single
And Martin’s jokes in front of a black 
Audience , laughing and hurting
Because all was good according 
To the TGIF lineup. Life didn’t hit 
Like a poem fresh out the shower 
Because student loans are just as stubborn 
As conservative voters. 

I miss grey game consoles near the TV 
and a fat Walkman in my hand ,
Not a gun in church 
Or a selfie in front of a street fight.
I miss Play-Doh and a box of crayons
On a table in the living room,
Next to cookies and milk
Or Kool-Aid and popcorn , 
Near your siblings and their Gameboys, 
Killing the only batteries in the junk drawer
Fresh out the freezer.

I miss home being quiet during cold storms.
Calling in to work wasn’t something 
To contemplate over while seeing Facebook friends
Buy new cars and close on big houses.
I miss the kid in my room 
With the door closed , eyes opened 
To a square television 
feeding him nothing 
but everything.

Comments

Popular Posts