Cold Air and Warm Seats

My place of employment is freezing for obvious reasons. They are aiming to kill everything in this building concerning the virus, including our hopes of going home. It's laughable because it doesn't surprise many how much corporations value profit over people. I'm certain much consideration must be taken during this time, but it makes you think. Anyway, during my lunch break, my fiance and I had the pleasure of getting our marriage licence before the courts decided to shut down (if it leads to that). It was a happy moment for us because we're still moving forward, despite canceling our wedding after two years of preparation. Like most of us, during this time, all we can do is make the best of it.

Usually during lunch, I head upstairs in the nearby building, eat and watch Netflix simultaneously. Today, I decided to start watching one of the most iconic comedies in the black community, Harlem Nights. That movie will leave you laughing from beginning to end. While cracking up in an empty study area, I was enjoying a PB&J from the downstairs cafe, along with some juice, chips and a candy bar. It was heaven. I woke up five minutes before clocking in to catch up on work. While posting payments and waiting for the phone to ring, I came across pictures of my fiance and I standing outside the courthouse with our marriage certificate, smiling. That's where we are--in the moment. All we can focus on is now. Tomorrow is a question mark. We can make plans, but...well...you know the rest.

The quietness reminds me of how loud life can be. The emptiness emphasizes the importance of people and human life. It fills rooms at capacity with just a few spirits and voices. Now that we're forced into seclusion, focusing on our own undoing is probably the best thing for us. Many of us are home away from jobs we don't like and probably resting in houses we don't call home. It's time we fix that. Yes, maybe this is the spring cleaning we're suppose to have. Sanitize your hands? How about sanitizing your heart? Can we do that? The people we don't get to see for the next few weeks deserve the best out of us, whether it's customers or children. Relationships need to be salvaged or severed, whatever helps you sleep at night. Books need to be finished, diets need to start, and ideas need to be pushed.

Cold air and warm seats on the second floor of an educational building can remind you of how vacant life can be when you're filling it with nothing. I want to enjoy my time with my fiance. I want to write better poems and even better short stories. I want do better in school and start my educational program. I want to better my relationship with my father and continue to learn from other artists, husbands, fathers, and good men. I want to run for an hour and push through the pain. It's time to reboot. If you need to , take a seat where you are and assess your life. It's the only one you have. Tidy things up and make those needed adjustments. We can be healthier. We can be happier. We can maintain joy. It takes effort...and probably a worldwide virus to get us back in gear towards bettering ourselves

Comments

Popular Posts