Dreaming in Parables

Have you ever dreamed  in parables? Have you woken up from one only to find yourself either questioning the meaning or instantly knowing what it was implying? I'm certain you have at one point or another. There's probably still a dream you've had , waiting on your pending response towards defining its purpose. Next time, if you have the chance, ask someone else what they think it means and get a second or third opinion. They might overlap. Last night, I had a particular dream including someone I've never dreamed about and someone else who's appeared in my dreams several times.

The dream consisted of me walking through a store. It wasn't just any store. It was Target, the place I worked during my entire undergrad. During this dream, I wasn't an employee, but a guest...with ties. I walked passed an employee who I knew and I was certain knew me as well. I said hello loud enough to hear myself, but low enough not to care if they did. They didn't respond.They kept walking. I passed someone else, not recognizing who they were before they called my name. Embarrassed, I immediately proceeded to talk to her, aware of who she was and surprised at who she resembled. Her face was a mixture between her own and someone else's. Judging by that detail alone, I think I was trying to make her out to be someone other than who she always was.

Waking up, I immediately typed it in my phone so I wouldn't forget. It was 4:30 in the morning and after rolling over, I figured out EXACTLY what God was telling me. As a person in this world, I've been so focused on people who didn't invest in our relationship, overlooking those who were willing to do the opposite. When we are in such a position, we label the friends we do have as not being enough to suit our immediate needs. How selfish is that? How selfish have I been? This year, I wanted to focus on my selfishness, but also pay close attention to myself. I told my wife that it's time I started speaking up for myself, paying attention to who and what I am, regardless of the opinions of others. That also includes paying close attention to the friends I have and not the ones I want.

This was a wake-up call, literally! Not all of my friends, including myself, agree on certain things, but we do agree on treating each other with respect. We agree on being intentional and helpful during great need. A nice friend smiles, says hello, and only interferes once in a while or never at all. A good friend laughs, sits down with you, and interferes with an attitude to be present and persistent. It's uncomfortable at times,  but always reliable. Pay attention to those relationships. Invest because they will return the same. Don't overlook the ones you have for the ones who will never be. This is a personal setback I've had for quite some time. Letting this go was difficult, but that's what a reset does. It clears out the bugs, kinks, and junk. The unnecessary.

So much has happened since January. Many of us are tired and it's just June. We have a ways to go. We have an election and many holidays to come before we skip over into 2021. Let's not forget the unforgettable. Let's not ignore the obvious. Focus on the help, not the harm. You will dream in more parables. You will be exposed to your deepest concerns. Disregarding them will be the biggest mistake because sooner or later, it will be revealed in a way that will rock your world. Maybe that's what you need to move on. Dreams aren't just aspirations for your future, but revelations of your present to help you get there.

Comments

Popular Posts