Let Him Have It

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before (I guess that comes with getting older), but ten years ago, I was outside the house of one of my exes, talking on the phone with my mom. I was worrying about something and she gave me this analogy to consider (which she considered herself): she stated that our problem(s) that we carry around is not for us to hold. She stated that God is sitting before us during every circumstance with a banquet table separating  you from Him. While we're struggling to prevent our problem(s) from hitting the ground, constantly saying "I got it" as bits and parts fall, causing us to loose our balance as we attempt to save them with our feet, God is shaking His head.  He's saying with a smile " Just place it on the table, my child." We look at Him and say, "Nah, I got it, trust me. " God laughs and answers, "I do, but that's my job, so just lay them down on the table." You examine the table, assuming it may buckle underneath and become one with the ground as it attempts to hold your load. God even goes as far as to stand up, make His way around the table , holding out his arms with warm hands, saying "If you want, you can just hand it to me."

Sometimes we have the nerve to ask," Are you sure?" I get asked this a lot at my job when guests ask me where a particular item is located in the store. After telling them that we don't have it in stock or sell it, they ask "Are you sure?" I've been working there for nearly eight years, yet they inquire my knowledge of our merchandise. This is similar to how we view God sometimes. We assume that what we have maybe too large or insignificant for Him to apply attention to with immediacy.  Sometimes, He has to literally take it from us. Our stubbornness is prone to being that extreme. He then takes what we have, places it on the table, sits down, looks to you and say "You can go ahead. I have this under control." We nod, slowly turn around after receiving confirmation that He has taken responsibility for what we have given up from our grasp. You notice that as you begin to walk away, you turn your head to see that your load hasn't budged. You even begin to notice that the table is bending underneath, probably about to give way to gravity and become one with the surface under His feet. Seeing that He's not tending to it (according to your standards), you walk back grabbing a piece here and a piece there, saying to yourself, "He doesn't have to tend to these few. I can do that myself." You then take a few more, turning away to resume walking, then finding yourself back at the table, weighing down your arms with what was once put in His care. Before you decide to fully turn and walk away, you find that your problem(s) is right back where they were before He took them away from you. God is sitting there, shaking His head again, asking "Are you sure you want to do that?" This is our second, third, or hundredth chance at relinquishing control  to a much better handler.

So the question is, "Are you sure you want to do that?" Are you sure that you want to take total control of your problems? The issues that are causing you to lose sleep and weaken the grip that you have on happiness? Do you really want to give the devil joy by allowing him to steal yours? 1 Peter 5:7 says to cast all your anxieties on Him for He greatly cares for you. He can handle it. He can handle your bills, your stressful job, your disloyal friends, your selfish family, and your unseen future. The moment you accept that you can't do this alone, the load becomes lighter, given your arms room to do work so that you will never have to carry it again. Trust me, walking away from the table is more difficult than you think. Your pace of walking isn't always going to to synchronize with His way of facilitating the situation(s).

I've given God my heavy loads a lot more over the past few years than I have in my entire life. I do agree that once you turn twenty-five, everything starts making sense. The small things your parents tell you can be applied to every aspect of your life. This analogy has stuck with me every since that conversation with my Mom and I plan on applying it to my own technique of parenting. Let go of your worries so that you can go let the future pave a road you can't see because your human eyes will not allow you to. Use the pupils of your spirit, miniaturizing that weight until it no longer exists on the table. Better yet, continue to let the spirit guide you so that you develop the habit of not just placing it on the table, but turning to proceed in life, maybe looking back if you can help it, but never turn around and doubt the one person capable of fully convincing you not to. 

Comments

Popular Posts