My Mentor (Gone, But Not Forgotten)

I was talking to my best friend about a week ago and he mentioned his mentor while discussing his schooling. He mentioned him again recently and I thought to myself, I don't have one. I then asked myself if I ever did and the answer was yes, I most definitely did. His name was Mr. Willie Santiago. He passed away from lung cancer a while back and he was one of the best male examples I've ever come across in my entire life. His wife, Mrs. Santiago, gave me a picture frame with a photograph of him and I, posing on a couch during his 62nd  birthday. I remember him telling us that day that he was 26 instead, sticking to his word. It was amazing watching him keep his sense of humor intact while his body begin to shut down. He was a living testimony that the body has no restraints when it comes to the power of the spirit.

One day, while sitting down talking at his house, he was discussing with me about our responsibilities as men. He mentioned about his experience as a young boy up into manhood where he had a wife and daughter to provide for. He said that it was mandatory that I finish school and get my degree so that I can start a solid career. This would then begin to mold a foundation where my wife and kids could plant their feet. I never had a man sit down with me and remind me of my God-given obligations as a male, encouraging me to do my very best so that my future will have the best options. Several men have had a hand in shaping my manhood experience, including my former pastor and other pastors I listen to often through pre-recorded sermons. The main theme from their words of encouragement is sacrifice. Mr. Santiago told me that he would work during holidays just so that he could further provide for his family. He spoke of it as being a privilege, not just an obligation.

My advice to young men is to seek out a mentor that could lead you in a way that God would approve of. Aspire to seek guidance from a man who has made mistakes and learned from them. No man is perfect, not even those who hide it very well because imperfection leaks slowly, leaving puddles for others to step into. Strive to not do exactly what they have done, even if their achievements consist of greatness. Aim to do better. Our goal is to evolve as men, not just continue a cycle of success. We don't want to just recycle our morals and dreams, but improve them, creating the most updated version of what God deems as pure discipleship. You will lose friends, time, money and many other things you may hold dear. The challenge is pushing forward during those setbacks, applying wisdom, and making sure the footsteps you took before will not be repeated. If you don't have one, take it from me: You will be faced with many decisions in your life. You can go left, right, back, forward, up or down. The boldest choice is to create your own direction. If God leads you a certain way, trust Him. He knows what's best. If you choose not to, don't worry. He'll lead you right back, giving you a second, third, or fiftieth chance to do what's really best  for you.

Thank you, Mr. Santiago, for taking the time to teach me. Thank you for caring and accepting me as a son. Your presence has had a great influence on my life. I cannot express how much you and your family means to me. As men, we all have to find the path God has chosen for us, and despite the struggle, accept that it's necessary to endure. Thank you for your wisdom, your persistence, and sharing your love. You will be greatly missed. I know you're beside God, enjoying your mansion, singing, covered in light and joy. Even though you're home now, your aura still lingers.

Gracias, Senor.

Comments

Popular Posts