Making Time for More Time

What does your evening consist of? Do you turn on the television before popping something edible in the microwave? Do you scurry to the gym with hopes of getting your workout in before the sun goes down? Maybe you spend time with your spouse who's been waiting all day for you both to clock out and have time to yourselves? Who knows. One thing I'm certain you want more of is what we call me time. It's that undisturbed moment within 24 hours that doesn't involve work , people or anything that creates a wedge between you and yourself. Selfish, right? It can be, depending on what you're willing to disregard to place yourself at the front of the priority line, but you need to take care of self so that you can tend to others. So much is required from us because to be frank, no one can successfully fulfill roles designated for our personalities. Our characteristics have metaphoric DNA strands that can not be duplicated. That's thanks to God and His beautiful complexity.

My day is pretty full. The overall view of a typical week day is waking up at 5am, eating breakfast, doing 30 pushups, brush my teeth and wash my face. Then, I put on my clothes, grab my bags and lunch and head out the door. I work from 8 am-5pm before I head to the gym. I then proceed back home where I eat dinner and prepare for the next day. Making room to at least sit down and watch an episode on Netflix is a struggle, let along talk to my girlfriend. My body requires 8 or more hours of sleep to acquire good rest. It's always been that way since I was younger. My mom asked why is that and I explained to her that since I was the youngest, I always had to go to bed early. You'll think things would change once adulthood kicked in, but wrong! The need for sleep now is greater than ever because unlike a child, I have things to do outside of eating and napping.

You want your cake and eat it , too. I know. So do I. What if you only had time to bake it, but not partake of its goodness until later in the week? Would you be willing to make that sacrifice? We're all given the same amount of time during a day. What are you willing to spend that time doing? I notice Instagram and Facebook accounts consisting of bodybuilders and busy parents who maintain a life unimaginable in comparison to our own. How do they do it, we ask. Well, they do it by way of two things: consistency and sacrifice

Imagine a large bowl (as big as car) full of water being held over your head with a small hole at the bottom of it.  God has blessed you with the strength to hold it up as well as place your hand underneath to prevent water from leaking. You are aware that if you don't hold that bowl up, the water supply would weaken, leaving it difficult for others to pull from if needed, especially your family. No, you won't be able to partake of the liquid yourself because of your responsibility. Your ultimate desire to assist your family as well as others, but you also want to appease your own thirst. What do you do? If you want to make things easier for them, you must sacrifice yourself consistently. What's in it for me, you think. If you ask, I'm sure they would be more than willing to either temporarily relieve you of your duty or bring the water to you as you control its abundance.

You are currently holding a large bowl full of water, wondering what the big payoff will be. Once you come to terms with the relevance of your responsibility and how it correlates with everything you desire, the task becomes worth it. If there is something you want during the day, remove something to make room for it. If it's weight, remove those unhealthy snacks. If it's fatigue, stop watching TV late at night and remove yourself from technology. If it's lack of communication, use designated time to make phone calls or schedule meet-ups.

One of my biggest disappointments is waking up and not spending time with God. I ask myself, how can I change this.  I can get to bed early by cutting out Netflix and eating in the kitchen. Eating in the kitchen, you're wondering. I realize that when I do, I can fully enjoy it without any distractions. I don't get comfortable, creating eagerness to get to the bed. If you want more, give more. Keep this in mind: we have the same amount of hours in a day as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Lebron James, Barak Obama, Trevor Noah, BeyoncĂ©, Lady GaGa, Bruno Mars, Dr. Eric Mason (look this guy up if you haven't already!) and every other human being. If they can do it, so can we.

Comments

Popular Posts