When God Took His Time (Poem for Mother's Day)


Mother's Day is a few days away. I personally never get tired of giving thanks to the most influential person in my life (despite me being a man). My mother is wonderfully made because she is a great mixture of good and bad, beautifying humanity with a single smile and disappearing eyes (where I get my eyelids from :)  She's done so much and is still doing. I've known her for thirty-one years and she never fails to warm my heart.  I can't remember ever writing a poem in reference to Mother's Day, so here's my attempt to capture how I feel about her and the concept of motherhood. My perspective is limited as a child, but is just as valid as anyone who knows what it means to have such an awesome parent. Mama often says she's blessed to have us. I'll have to disagree and say that it's the other way around. Here's my appreciation to all mothers holding it down at home, on the job, and in the parks, trying to keep us entertained and happy to be kids. We love you and thank you greatly for your sacrifices, wisdom, and undying love.

 

When God Took His Time


Hands sterilized, dripping anointing from the fingers,
Away from the bare table made of marble
And the surface of a pulsing star,
I imagine God creating you in this manner.
 
Grabbing the blueprints of the good book
Naked of binding and names of men,
He wanted to give it spice
only a rib could initiate.
 
He made your mind out of the galaxy’s infinity,
Filling the gaps with intuition and empathy,
creating space everywhere else
For a husband, children, and self-development.
 
He wrote in his notes that your hair
Will be your natural crown,
Your ears will keep secrets,
that your hips will carry nations.
 
You were layered with enough
To deflect assumptions and provocation,
Your labor will birth life
And liberty, a way to renew.
 
Smiling upon completion,
He breathes your presentation
Amidst man’s slumber,
Making you his dream best formed.   
 
Calvin W. Pennywell Jr.  (2017)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. That was so beautiful. I love how you said "He made your mind out of the galaxy's infinity" It gives me the idea that a mother's mind is full of too many things for a person to learn. I also loved "He wrote in his notes that your hair will be your natural crown, Your ears will keep secrets..." As you've described your own mother to me, that seems like a line that, unlike the others, is specifically about her. The others may be able to apply to other mothers, but this is one line that reminds me of the specific way you've described your own. I really enjoy reading your pieces, even though poetry was meant to be heard. I enjoy "hearing with my eyes" and letting the sound manifest in my head as imagery. This is such a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, darling :) As you know, our mothers are catered to our personal needs as children. That explains why He chose them for us. He knew exactly what we would need. Thank you for you endless encouragement and I pray I continue to utilize my gift as a way to give life and not take it away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts