Diamondback Had A Point...

One of my favorite Netflix series was Luke Cage (2016).  I was so excited when it came out because I've been curious about Luke Cage's story since I heard about him a few years prior. If you haven't seen any of the 2 seasons, this will possibly be a SPOILER ALERT . Luke Cage is confronted by his half brother, Diamondback, who personally doesn't like him due to the secret relationship their father, a local pastor, had with Diamondback's mother. Luke Cage's mother was married to their father, yet their father was having an affair with another woman. Their father was very religious, quoting the bible at every chance,  yet practiced sin in secret like most of us Christians do.

Diamondback carries a bible around, tattooed with notes like a personal journal. He's knowledgeable of its content from Genesis to Revelation while carrying around a heart of revenge as he seeks to kill Luke Cage, his half brother. They have a final battle in the last episode of season 1 where Luke Cage ultimately defeats him. Most villains are easy to sympathize with because of their humanistic responses to life. It's easy to understand Diamondback's rage since he was deemed the bastard son. Yet, it was hard to sympathize his method of dealing with that hate, for he killed people at the expense of mercy and grace. The dilemma was trying to figure out how easy it was for a non-perfect man with no plans to change to quote a perfect being who never did in the best way. Luke Cage had the same issue with their father, for he would preach one thing...and do another. Luke Cage was aware of God's word, but he couldn't respect it due to his connection with it and his father, the pastor.

Recently, I caught up with a friend and discussed my self-transformation over the last few months in spite of the pandemic. He asked for details and I told him of how I viewed God as the same God, but a different parent in relation to the Old and New Testament. He mentioned for him, God never changed. I thought he didn't understand what I was saying when it was me who wasn't thoroughly explaining how I felt. Contemplating on his statement for a few days caused me to reach back out and explain myself thoroughly (which honestly, I had to for my benefit and I'll tell you why).  He mentioned how he understood my approach, for God's "fulfillment" in the New Testament was very life changing. Adrianne, my wife, suggested  a while back to look up certain words when it came to scripture to understand the significance. I looked up fulfillment and this was the definition: (noun)-the achievement of something desired, promised, or predicted.

Wanting to use an Old Testament reference to support this definition, I looked up 2 Samuel 7:12-13, where it says  When your days are over and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, your own flesh and blood, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for my Name , and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. The He God is referring to is indeed Jesus, for Mary, the mother of Jesus, is a descendant of David, which we are informed of in the beginning of the New Testament. Who would of thought Jesus was born from the lineage of  Mary, a woman, not Joseph, who is obviously Jesus' stepfather. As you can see, God made a promise in the Old Testament He later fulfilled in the New Testament. Luke Cage's father promised to live a life of holiness, only to commit adultery and disregard Diamondback and his mother. How can one expect Luke Cage to trust a man who doesn't live what he teaches?

I experienced this with my father, which is why I had a negative connotation with the Old Testament. I thought my mom represented more of the New Testament, for she exhibited mercy, grace, and fulfilled her promises.  My father, in my opinion, did not. My father was the Old Testament and my mother was the New Testament, both equally right and sufficient. Together, they made a good parent, but only God is the perfect parent, for He does no wrong. My problem wasn't with God, but my father. Somewhere inside is rooted disappointment on who my father was and who he is not, but I combat this daily with mercy and grace God bestows upon me. Diamondback mocked God's word because his dad did. I wasn't fond of the Old Testament...because I wasn't fond of my father, but my heavenly father never makes promises...that lack fulfillment. So yes, that is why he is a God and parent...who never changes.

Comments

Popular Posts