10% is 100% in His Eyes

Back when I was younger, I remember the preacher mentioning tithes and offerings. My piggy bank only had quarters and probably a few dollars, so I would give one or two bills, depending on what I wanted to keep to myself. Getting older, I started working and acquiring more money, becoming pleased with what I was making. Having money to do what we want is a luxury we take lightly. Your teen years are usually full of movie tickets, clothing price tags and maybe a cell phone bill (if your parents aren't that generous). Assuming that you deserve everything you put your hard earned money to is a common, American mindset. If you're aware of Biblical standards, the concept of giving money to the church is nothing new to you. The passing of the collection plate full of bare bills, checks and envelopes usually travels over your lap as you think to yourself , "I have bills to pay" or" I'm heading out of town this week". Another reason to justify you not giving is the truth that God doesn't need it. So the question is why give, right? That's what I asked for a while until I realized that tithing isn't for God, it's for us.

For us? How so if we're the ones placing it in the hands of the church? The preacher would mention building funds, contributions to an anonymous family in need, or just standard tithing. What about me and my needs, we ask ourselves. Well, all of that will be tended to if we fully trust in God, and what better way to trust Him than to be obedient (1 Samuel 15:22). Sacrificing 10% of $1000 or even $1,000,000 is a lot compared to most people, but God isn't worried about quantity, but quality. That is, the quality of your faith and commitment towards His promises and teachings.  You'll think that you'll be left with nothing to enjoy yourself , such as catching a new movie after buying a plate from a local sea food restaurant on a Friday night after work. Most of us are a people of now instead of now and tomorrow.  I, myself, was so focused on what I didn't have, assuming that if money wasn't in my account that I would lose out on fulfilling my needs. I failed to realize that if God request something from me, it didn't negate Him returning my investment. Dying for my sins is a big enough check to cover everything, let along bless me for giving back ten percent of my monthly income.

This past Sunday was the first time I've tithed in over a decade (since I graduated high school). My understanding of tithing was assisted by listening to Dr. Tony Evans speak about how we have been stealing from God. Really? How can one do that if you haven't actually stolen anything? He mentioned that the things we've prayed for (houses, cars, clothes, jobs, etc.) have been received with no intent of giving God what's due to Him--our obedience. He can care less about materialistic sacrifices (that's Old Testament). All He ask is that we be diligent with entrusting Him to be our primary provider. Like Dr. Evans stated, it's time that we make Him our source instead of our resource. If $1 is all you can give, then do so, or don't give at all. He's not asking for the green, but the red of your heart, pumping out every intent of not believing in man or money, but Him alone.  Don't give from your wallet or purse, but from your spirit. Allow God to continue to move you in a way that contemplating on setbacks is the least of your worries. This was a step forward in my spiritual maturity that will filter into other areas of my life. God's been teaching me more about Him every day and I'm looking forward to more lessons, even if it costs me.

Comments

Popular Posts