Why Do You Rap?

This question was posed upon myself as I was walking through my place of work. This was after realizing how much fun I have with it verses fulfilling my job's responsibilities. Is that bad? Maybe, but why should it be if it makes me happy? You'll think that one should feel that way often, but most of us don't...especially when we're not living in our purpose. I'm not saying I'm meant to be a rapper, but joy is apart of my existence. Joy is what I feel when I rap, but rapping is something I do. It is a vessel from a bigger entity. If I could explain it thoroughly, I would say that rapping is what I do, but writing is what I am. No, writing doesn't define me, but its the meat of the songs I create. Being therapeutic is what I strive for with every lyric, every stanza and paragraph.

This concern came to mind because I know a few Hip-Hop artists who are pursuing music as careers...full-time. There's passion in the words they speak, the energy they include and the production carrying the song into the ears of avid listeners. They amaze me every time because of their professionalism and quality of work. It's sad that many of us think, who knew such goodness could come out of the local community. Sounds familiar? Nathaneal asked that of Jesus, inquiring,Can anything good come out of Nazareth ? (John 1:46). Many people are asking, can anything good come out of Augusta? The answer is yes, several times over. We all are collectively in the process of making sure that fact is well-known. I never want to downplay their efforts in reaching their audience, let alone the public with their musical influence. If asked why they rap, I'm certain their explanation would be beyond varied expectations. Personally, I can say that it's not for personal glory, for their concern is never for themselves, but others. There's a story in their work. Hear it, listen, feel it, and enjoy. They do it for you...as do I.

So, why do I rap? I rap for that quiet senior in high school back in 2004, before he graduated and decided to pursue writing in a college setting. I write for that kid in the mid 90s who didn't understand why other boys in his class picked on him. I rap for the little brother in Arkansas back in the late 80s who didn't think that not having a father present would have any affect on his life. He was lost in getting figurines dirty and not taking baths if he wasn't asked to do so. Hip-Hop influenced me, made me a better writer. Rapping...is my way of returning the favor. My audience mostly consist of people of my age, because I know I'm not the only one that thinks about life the way I do. Many of us have kids, have been married for nearly ten years, and are settled in our careers. Yet, some of us are still learning, searching for an answer. Looking for completion. I write for those people. There's no telling what will come of the music I make and the poems and short stories I write. I'm no producer or Grammy-Winner. I'm a poet with a passion for the literary expression. I'm a wordsmith romantic that enjoys the process of putting ideas and illustrations together so that you see truth and imagination.  There's much owed to you from me as an artist, yet much more owed to God as a son.

Comments

  1. I love a artist who bears responsibility instead of privilege. Keep hitting it out of the park brother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts