Acceptance

Accepting the way things are can be challenging, especially if you have difficulty succumbing to the idea of change.  We've gotten so use to how things have been since the beginning that at the slightest sign of difference, we panic and reach a high level of discomfort. Nobody wishes to be uncomfortable or be in an unstable state of being where they can not function normally, but one of the best things about experiencing new things is that it helps us grow and mature. As a young boy, I didn't want to accept the fact that I was probably going to be the only consistent male in the house. Since I was the youngest, it was much easier for me to go about my life without worries or responsibilities because my well being was detrimental to my mom and two older sisters. I was sheltered in a sense, despite the fact that I was the only male. It wasn't until my sisters graduated and moved out that I realized that more was expected of me. For a while, I was afraid to drive because I feared that a car accident might be my demise. I also realized that the possibility of dying in a car accident was the same as dying anywhere else. If God said it was my time to go, then my body had no choice. My mom got really sick once, but she didn't have to go to the hospital. But what if she did? Ambulance rides are very expensive and what better inexpensive way to get there then to have somebody drive you. Since I was the only one at the house and seeing that my mom would be in no condition to operate the vehicle, I was the only alternative because calling somebody else knowing that I was capable of owning a licence would have been absurd. I accepted the fact that there were endless possibilities pertaining to my death and there was no excuse why I shouldn't know how to drive. So, my mom began to teach me and that is how I got over my fear of driving. Things that we experience in life are inevitable because every action has consequences (good and bad), but that shouldn't stop us from making the decisions.  As a teenager, I couldn't accept the fact that I was a quiet, warm hearted young man who said "yes mam/no mam" and "yes sir/no sir". Thanks to mom, I learned the value of staying humble, knowing that God has equipped me with everything I would possibly need to maintain a fulfilling life. I figured I would be alone due to most girls desire for a strong, athletically built young man who could make them smile and laugh. As I grew older, I learned the secret behind every man success (work, marriage, dating, physical fitness, etc.)-confidence. That's all it took. A man's confidence enters a room before he does and lingers after he leaves. Knowing that God is beside me every step of the way is enough encouragement for me to maintain forward movement. I have accepted my current academic standing, my part time job, my new single life, and the fact that no matter what, I will always have the heart God gave me the day I was born. There are no weaknesses when it comes to being kind, generous, thoughtful, considerate, and patient because that is what He ask of us. It only  exhibits faith and God's influence in my life. Accept what you are by accepting God into your life because He makes you more appealing than anything else could.

Comments

Popular Posts