The Body

There's so much emphasis on the body now days. It's about looking the way YOU want to look. Loosing those extra pounds, packing on muscle, and getting that perfect tan. I do admit to working out a least an hour everyday. Getting in shape keeps me moving, motivated to do more (physically and mentally), and to look forward to getting older.  I think back to high school where I wore baggy clothes and shirts twice my size to hide my body. I didn't play any sports and took part in no cardiovascular activity. I drew pictures most of the time and wrote poetry vigorously during and outside of class. Now that I've started exercising more frequently, I've been able to wear clothing that fits me and obtain more stamina for work, studying, and anything else that required a great amount of potential energy. The thing that bothers me is that we put so much effort to maintain a body that we must be rid of in order to spend eternity with God. We waste countless hours exercising and maintaining our diets that we sometimes lose sight of why we should be generally healthy to begin with. Being healthy has become an image rather than an idea that allows us to progress in life, expecting to live as long as God allows us to. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with getting up 5am every morning to run a couple of miles, do intense ab work, and strengthening your upper body with structured weight lifting. It's about reason and purpose. If you completely focus on YOURSELF, than you will eventually become so involved in trying to stay fit that you find it hard to FIT anything else in your life, let along God.  I believe he wants us to be healthy because our bodies are temples (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). We are indeed "not our own".  I remember talking to Mom about working out and being healthy and how much time i devoted to it. I didn't want to be selfish and I wanted to make sure that frequent physical activity was a just thing to do. She suggested that before I ran or went to the gym, pray. I should pray that whatever i do wasn't in vain and that I do it for the glory of God.  The only way I was able to establish a connection between our personal fitness and our relationship with Him was this: God wants us to take care of our temples because he bought us with a prise. We may live to see 50, 70, or even 100.  If so, it'll be best for us to remain healthy so that our bodies will endure the effects of father time so that we can maintain a sufficient body while here on earth for as long as we possibly can. The great thing about being in shape is that you find yourself being more confident, alert, stern, positive, and most importantly, energetic. If God permits, I wish to run around with my kids in the future and even my grand kids. I'm not trying to be some sort of male eye candy or become objectified by women. I simply want to be healthy...and that's that.

Comments

Popular Posts