Mission: Repetition

The one thing my professor stresses when teaching Short Fiction is getting in the habit of writing EVERY DAY. That's very hard at times, even for an English major. Most of us are so busy living life that we forget the great moments that make each day worth experiencing. Sometimes it's hard to just sit there and come up with some creative idea that somebody wouldn't mind dedicating time out of their day just to read and possibly get into for the sake of entertainment. I remember the only thing I wanted back in high school was to be such a great writer that they would use my work as part of the school curriculum in order to teach a certain aspect of literature. I wanted to be mentioned amongst Shakespeare, T.S. Elliot, Edgar Allen Poe, Emily Dickinson, and even Walt Whitman (despite his sexuality). Now, I'm starting to reevaluate my intentions. Aiming for worldly credentials or recognition period comes off as being so vain and cynical that in the end, it all depends upon how many times your name has been dropped in reference to something achieved through receiving awards and accolades. If I wanted to be amongst the same category of well known figures, then I would want to be mentioned amongst Martin Luther King, Noah, Moses, Job,  Joseph, and all men that have sacrificed themselves for the sake of God's will. I want to be able to approach the kingdom of Heaven, seeing a smile on God's face as I approach him, hearing him say "there he is" and finishing with "Well done. You may enter the kingdom of Heaven." Nothing would be better. Absolutely, positively...nothing.  So to all you writers, bloggers, or journalists who find it hard to write every day, just jot down what God has done for you, is doing, and will do. You can fill pages in just a few minutes on one day alone. Repetition can be hard when it comes to the creative process, but allow God to guide your influence and trust me, the words will follow. Remember that you're living your life for Him.

Comments

Popular Posts